Many may already know that May is Mental Health Awareness Month. What many may not know is that it’s estimated that 50 million adults in the US suffer from mental health issues. Almost 5% of those people have a severe diagnosis. This is of course reported mental health issues, many people go undiagnosed for a long time. That is why mental health awareness becomes so important!
What Is The Point Of Mental Health Awareness Month?
People struggling with mental health issues such as depression or PTSD often suffer in silence due to unfair social stigmas. Devoting an entire month to raising awareness helps alleviate the stigma and makes it easier to start conversations about mental health with family, friends, and colleagues. Another important part of mental health awareness month is all of the resources that people share on social media platforms in addition to many virtual and in-person events that are offered within communities.
Knowing that there are safe spaces to connect with people who are navigating similar challenges empowers people to get the support and assistance they need. Because mental health issues are so widespread, there’s a good chance that someone you know may be struggling. The more informed you are on this issue, the easier it will be to recognize the signs of someone in need of support and encouragement.
Living free of your addiction is possible.
Call us today to learn how to live your life on your terms.
Las Vegas Events You Should Know About!
There are many Las Vegas-based events and programs dedicated to raising awareness around mental health issues. Although some events are created especially for the month of May, many of them are also offered regularly throughout the year.
- NAMI Nevada: free public in-person support groups
- Mental Health First Aid for Veterans: free in-person event
- Youth Mental Health First Aid Training: free in-person event
- Laugh Until You Cry-The Vegas Theater Company: free
- SafeTALK- Suicide Prevention Training: free
- Las Vegas Health and Wellness Expo: free
Virtual Events That Might Interest You
There are many wonderful virtual events, courses, and seminars that are offered on many topics related to mental health. These events range from yoga and breathwork classes to seminars on how to use essential oils for self-care. Here is a list of some ongoing and upcoming virtual events:
- Commune Women’s Health & Happiness Summit: free
- Urban Strategies Council – Mental Health Mondays: free
- Soul Dimension Pranayama – Joy of Breathing: free
- Essential Oils for Natural Healing: free
- Let’s Talk-Maternal Mental Health: free
- Conscious life-Relationship Super Conference: free
Self-Care Tips For When You Are Struggling
If you are struggling with a mental health issue, practicing kindness towards yourself along with appropriate self-care goes a long way. Here are a few helpful tips that can keep you on track:
- Regular exercises such as yoga, pilates, dance, or qigong
- Establish a regular sleep schedule and get plenty of quality sleep every night
- Fresh air and sunshine, spending time in nature
- Take medications as prescribed by your doctor
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Have your bloodwork done to check vitamin and mineral levels that are important for nervous system regulation such as zinc, magnesium, and vitamin D
- Attend regular therapy or counseling sessions
How You Can Help Others
There are many ways you can help people who are struggling with mental health. There are training sessions that help you become more knowledgeable about these issues and how to speak to youth, veterans, people struggling with substance use disorders, and other groups of people who are at a greater risk of suicide or self-harm. Early intervention saves lives, so if you notice signs of mental health issues such as emotional or behavioral changes in a friend or family member, speaking to them about it can be the first step to getting them the help they need. If you would like to be of service, here are some volunteer opportunities in the Las Vegas area to consider:
- NAMI Nevada: helpline and walkathon
- AFSP: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Nevada Department of Veteran Services
- Crisis Support Services of Nevada
How We Can Help You
At Nestled Recovery, we have a unique, holistic approach to treatment and recovery from substance use disorders and mental health issues. You can expect to receive professional, trauma-informed care in our beautiful, state-of-the-art facility while learning how to incorporate mindfulness into your healing journey. Using the Eight Dimensions of Wellness, we consider the entire person: mind, body, and spirit, creating tailored treatment plans with a range of psychotherapies and experiential therapies to choose from. If you or a loved one are struggling with a mental issue or substance abuse, contact us today.